Despite the huge variety of different topics in video games, it can be challenging to pick your video game blog niche! From countless different video games, many different video game platforms, a wide variety of video game genres, and the varied ways people play video games, you are sure to find a perfect niche for your video game blog among the many video game niches available. Keep reading to find out some of our favorite video game blog niches and to get some ideas for your next video game blog niche.
Disclaimer: There are affiliate links used in this article. Passive Pete may receive a commission when you click affiliate links in this article. Clicking affiliate links in this article will not cost you anything extra. Thanks! – Passive Pete
Specific Video Games
Specific video games can serve as perfect niches for your gaming blog. There are too many individual video games to count, allowing you to find video game blog niches that are not competitive. While you might not think that one game is a wide enough niche to center your blog around, many games are more expansive than they might seem at first glance. You could cover everything about a game from guides to reviews to news.
Here are some popular video games that could serve as inspiration for your gaming blog niches:
- Pokémon – As one of the most popular franchises in the entire world, Pokémon could be a great video game blog niche. From writing guides about tough gym leader battles to writing news about upcoming games to publishing masterfully crafted competitive teams, Pokémon might be more intricate than you think! Just look at Bulbapedia and Smogon for examples of successful websites centered entirely around Pokémon.
- League of Legends – League of Legends is another popular franchise with lots of information to cover that would be a good gaming blog niche. Explore countless different build combinations for different champions or cover information like e-sports or upcoming updates.
- World of Warcraft – World of Warcraft is a huge franchise with lots of details to write about for your video game blog. Some things you can write about include all the different class and race combos in World of Warcraft, guides for finding rare loot, walkthroughs for tough dungeons or raids, or upcoming news about future patches.
Video Game Platforms as Video Game Blog Niches
There are many different ways that people play video games. From mobile gaming to PC gaming, you should decide what video game platform your video game blog niche is going to focus on. Some ways to play video games are more popular than others, and therefore are also more competitive!
Here are some video game platforms that can serve as niche ideas for your video game blog:
- Mobile Gaming – More people play video games on their phone or tablet than any other platform! While the audience for mobile gaming is bigger, it may be more competitive as well. You could write blog posts about mobile games like Pokémon Go or Clash of Clans.
- PC Gaming – Write about games exclusive to computers and other PC gaming topics like game modding. PC Gaming, while not the largest audience, is a far reaching niche for your video game blog.
- Console Gaming – After mobile gaming, console gaming is one of the most popular ways people play video games. You can write about games for consoles like the Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch.
- Arcade Gaming – While not as popular as other video game platforms on this list, many people still enjoy playing arcade games. Try writing about classic video games like Pac-Man or Frogger.
Video Game Genres as Video Game Blog Niches
There are many different video game genres with their own audiences that can all serve as video game blog niches. Rather than focusing on a specific game or platform, you could base the niche of your blog around a certain video game genre. Here are some video game genres that could serve as good video game blog niches.
- Strategy Games – Write about games like Civilization, Starcraft, Stellaris, Europa Universalis, Age of Empires, XCOM, and more!
- First Person Shooters / FPS – First Person Shooters include games like Call of Duty, Counter Strike Global Offensive, Halo, and Battlefield.
- Battle Royale Games – Similar to First Person Shooters, Battle Royale games pit players against one another in a free-for-all battle. Battle Royale games include games like Fornite and PUBG.
- Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas / MOBA – MOBAs, or Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas, include games like League of Legends, Smite, Dota, and Heroes of the Storm.
- Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games / MMORPGs – MMORPGS are one of the most popular video game genres and include games like World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls Online, EVE Online, and Runescape.
- Creature Collector Games – While the creature collector genre is mainly dominated by Pokemon, there are still many other games that could serve as video game blog niches. Write about games like Monster Sanctuary, Spectrobes, Fossil Fighters, Dragon Quest Monster Joker, and more.
Ways to Play Video Games as Video Game Blog Niches
You could also base your video game blog niche around the different ways people play video games. While some people play to win, other people play to have fun or connect with their friends.
Here are some popular ways to play video games that you could use as inspiration for video game blog niches:
- Playing with Friends – Video games are a common way for people to hangout online. Nothing beats playing alongside your best friends in your favorite video games! You could write articles about the best types of multiplayer games for playing together online and in person.
- E-Sports / Competitive Video Gaming – Competitive video gaming and e-sports are a rapidly growing industry that many people are interested in. You could cover e-sports news like video game world championships or provide guides for people interested in getting involved in competitive video gaming.
- Casual Gaming – Sometimes people just want to relax while playing video games! Write about relaxing games that are easy to jump in and out of.
- Retro Games – Many people like learning about games and game development from the early days of the video game industry.
We hope that this article has helped you in narrowing down your choices in video game blog niches. From video game genres and video game platforms to ways to play video games and specific video games, there is an almost endless pool of video game blog niches. No matter what video game niche you pick, consistent writing will be the key to your video game blog’s success. Don’t be discouraged if your blog doesn’t take off right away; just keep writing and you’ll be surprised as your traffic starts to grow exponentially!